Friday 28 January 2011

Atomic structure

DD6 and DD8 were working on atoms and their structures last week.
(DD4 did join in as it involved play doh and glue)


First we discussed the parts of an atom - we used 3 part cards to learn about protons, neutrons, electrons and their charges. Then asked if they wanted to see how big atoms were.
 I took a 2cm lump of play doh and said it is made up of millions and millions of atoms then asked them to cut the play doh in half 13 times, when the spec was so small they couldn't cut any more (and barely see it) I explained that even this spec has millions of atoms in.

We followed by exploring the atomic structure of the first 10 elements on the periodic table (using the cloud/Bohr model - the center represents the nucleus where the protons and neutrons are and the outer circles represent where the electronic shells where the electrons live)


This worksheet is available on my Download page.  As you can see they got bored cutting out all the little circles so decided to draw them in instead.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI Zelda - We are learning about this soon and I was hoping maybe you could send me the link to the 3 part cards?? My email is kevinkaylaarrowood123 at yahoo dot com. I have tried to search but I haven't been successful! XOOX

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...